–UPDATE: ROAD TRIP CANCELLED >>>
Reposted From A UDM Press Release
DETROIT (11/23/2020) — It might be a few weeks later than we thought, but the University of Detroit Mercy men’s basketball team will open the 2020-21 campaign on the road in Kentucky with the Bluegrass Showcase.
The Titans will start off the event against Richmond on Wednesday before facing nationally-ranked Kentucky on Friday and Morehead State on Sunday, all from Rupp Arena in Lexington, Kentucky.
Game time is set for 9 p.m. against the Spiders, who are receiving votes in both the AP and Coaches Poll, and will be streamed for free on the Richmond YouTube Channel.
Fans can listen to all the action with the Voice of the Titans Dan Hasty on the new home of Detroit Mercy basketball WLQV 92.7 FM & 1500 AM FaithTalk Detroit.
- Detroit Mercy has had a great history of starting off with a win as the Titans are 81-32 all-time on opening day, with two years in the early 1900’s unknown due to record-keeping, although it has dropped three in a row
- With that said, the Titans are looking for its first season-opening win away from Calihan Hall since the 2006-07 season when they beat Maine, 57-50, at Marquette in the CBE Classic
- Titans junior guard Antoine Davis, who is already a two-time First Team All-HL selection and has led the league in scoring the last two years, enters this season as the nation’s second-leading returning scorer at 24.3 ppg., trailing only UTSA’s Jhivvan Jackson’s 26.8.
- The Titans return six letterwinners and brought in eight newcomers, including three graduate seniors, two other Division I transfers and three freshmen
- Detroit Mercy is 18-22 in in-season tournaments in the last 11 years, with three titles in that span, all coming in subregional portions of the tournaments
— 30 —